Re: mkoctfile and autoconf in OctaveDE

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: mkoctfile and autoconf in OctaveDE
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:01:23 -0600

2009/2/24 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 24-Feb-2009, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | More severely, and if this is going to be a widely-used package, it
> | should get fixed, right now it sets variables from mkoctfile in
> | Makefile.am, when they really should be set in configure.ac, but I
> | think this necessitates writing the proper m4 macros for autoconf.
>
> Why?

Well... autotools are a little complicated for me to understand, but
as I understand it, if I want to actually use the portability of
autotools, I should be using autoconf to set linking and compile flags
instead of setting them with automake, because it's just "better" that
way.

Anyways, OctaveDE's current build system is here:

     http://platinum.linux.pl/~jordi/octavede-build.tar.gz

My understanding that this isn't the right way to autotool it is from
an IRC discussion.

- Jordi G. H.