Re: [changeset] - compatible behavior when printing

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [changeset] - compatible behavior when printing
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 22:46:41 -0500

On Feb 28, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

This changeset began with the motive to implement Matlab compatible behavior when printing. The preferred implementation sets gnuplot's {lrtb}margins present in gnuplot 4.3+, but will also work for the 4.2 series using "set origin ..." and 'set size ...".

Using default properties, the command below now will now print to a us-letter sized canvas (by default) with the plot area occupying the area specified by the property "paperposition", which defaults to [0.25 2.5 8.0 6.0].

print (gcf, "-dpng", "myfile-usletter.png")

To produce a 640x480 bitmap

dpi = get (0, "screenpixelsperinch");
paper_size = [640, 480] ./ dpi;
set (gcf, "paperunits", "inches")
set (gcf, "papertype", "<custom>")
set (gcf, "papersize", paper_size)
set (gcf, "paperposition", [0, 0, paper_size])
print (gcf, "-dpng", "myfile1.png")

Which implies the default resolution is equal to the display. Or the resolution may be explicitly specified ...

dpi = 72;
paper_size = [640, 480] ./ dpi;
set (gcf, "paperunits", "inches")
set (gcf, "papertype", "<custom>")
set (gcf, "papersize", paper_size)
set (gcf, "paperposition", [0, 0, paper_size])
print (gcf, "-dpng", sprintf("-r%d", dpi), "myfile2.png")

I've tested tested this changeset with gnuplot 4.2.3 and 4.3, using several terminals (-dpsc, -dps, -deps, -dpdf, -dpng). For on screen, I've tested with x11, wxt (only on gnuplot 4.2.3), and aqua.

If someone is running gnuplot 4.2.4, please try "rundemos plot" from Octave's command line, and let me know if there are any problems.

Ben

<changeset-paper-props.patch>

I've pushed these changes. On first attempt, I missed flagging a new file. The new file has not been pushed as well.

Ben