Re: about contibuting to octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: about contibuting to octave
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:09:45 +0000

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:22 AM, xianghang liu <address@hidden> wrote:
> In freetype, I found two functions
>
> FT_Outline_Get_BBox Compute the exact bounding box of an outline.
> FT_Outline_Get_CBox Return an outline's ‘control box’.
>
> After a rough glance at ftgl's bounding box computation, I think it use
> FT_Outline_Get_CBox to compute the box of each glyph and add them together
> to get the extent of the string. Shall we just follow the same method?

AFAIK, depending on the font, the width of a string is not the same as
the sum of the width of all its characters. OTOH, I think you can assume
that the width of a string will always be <= than the sum of the width of
its characters. So adding the box of each glyph should give you a maximum
width anyway.

Note that I'm not a font expert, so I might be wrong.

Michael.