Re: deprecated functions

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: deprecated functions
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 20:52:52 +0100

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:42 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  4-Mar-2009, Jason Riedy wrote:
>
> | Yes.  What's worse: The new diagonal matrices make sparse matrices
> | dense.
>
> This is no different from what has always happened with full x sparse
> operations, as far as I can tell.  So I don't see that this could
> cause any new problems for you.
>
> | They're worse than useless to me right now.
>
> Comments like this are not helpful.
>
> | Working on diag&sparse ops right now, but feel free to beat me to it.
>
> It would probably be useful to return sparse for mixed sparse and
> diag matrix operations, so this would be good to have.

I agree it would be more useful, as they really are special kind of
sparse matrices.
But it would break backward and Matlab compatibility in a fairly
invasive way (infinitely more than the recently discussed NaN issues),
so I think a wide agreement is really necessary here.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer