basic implementation for isosurface, isocolors, isonormals

From: Martin Helm
Subject: basic implementation for isosurface, isocolors, isonormals
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:24:42 +0100

Dear Octave maintainers,

recently I made some preliminary implementation for isocolors, isonormals,
isosurface for my own use which I would like to share (isocaps will follow in
the near future). My first intention was to make a package at octave-forge. As
it turned out in the discussion at the OF mailing list that this functions
should go into octave itself  because these are base matlab functions, I start
this thread to continue the discussion which can be found at

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=200903051754.35446.martin%40mhelm.de&forum_name=octave-
dev

My functions can be found at
http://www.mhelm.de/octave/pkg/visualize3d-0.1.5.tar.gz
and some examples
http://www.mhelm.de/octave/index.html

I try to summarize the previous discussion:

The iso* functions need a graphics backend which is able to visualize filled
3d patches (at least triangle patches) if you want to visualize the results in
a matlab compatible way.

This is at the moment possible with the fltk backend and also with the
jhandles package but not with the gnuplot backend.

As discussed in the mailig list mentioned above there might be a chance to
make filled 3d patches possible also with gnuplot for at least triangle 3d
patches (using pm3d), but it is not completely sure at the moment if this will
work or how fast it can be done.

So I would be glad to receive some thoughts from you if you see this functions
as octave core functions (with the limitation in mind that they cannot be used
with gnuplot in the worst case) or as an addon which belongs to octave-forge.

I would also like to restart the discussion about the possibility to introduce
(a subset of) filled 3d patches with gnuplot backend here.

Regards
Martin Helm