Re: missing pdf terminal; was --> [changeset] print.m (matlab compatibil

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: missing pdf terminal; was --> [changeset] print.m (matlab compatibility)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 02:05:48 -0400

On 11-Mar-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Mar 11, 2009, at 12:50 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > On 11-Mar-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:
| >
| > | On Mar 11, 2009, at 12:13 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > "\\b
| > | > |
| > gnuplot_drawnow to
| > the plot

| > |
| > | It's attached.
| >
| > So it won't work on Windows?  Maybe that doesn't matter for the
| > particular case that we are looking at now since we are only trying to
| > improve the error message.  But in that case, maybe it shouldn't
| > produce an error when called on a system that doesn't have mkfifo.
| > Or should any use of this function go inside a try/catch block?
|
| You've lost me. Are you saying that the command below will not work on
| Windows?
|
|       terms = regexp (__gnuplot_get_var__ (gcf, "GPVAL_TERMINALS"), "\\b\\w+
| \\b", "match");
|
| or that the function __gnuplot_get_var__ won't work on Windows?
|
| I attempted to mimic the mkfifo portion from gnuplot_drawnow (I
| haven't studied what is being done there). Did get something wrong?

The function begins with

  function gp_var_value = __gnuplot_get_var__ (h, gp_var_name, fmt)

    if (nargin == 0)
      h = gcf ();
    endif
    if (nargin < 2)
      print_usage ();
    endif
    if (nargin < 3)
      fmt = '';
    endif

    ostream = get (h, "__plot_stream__");
    if (numel (ostream) < 1)
      error ("__gnuplot_get_var__: stream to gnuplot not open");
    elseif (ispc ()) # || true
      if (numel (ostream) == 1)
        error ("__gnuplot_get_var__: Need mkfifo that is not implemented under
Windows");
      endif

On a Windows system, we should end up in this block if ostream is
valid.  If we are printing to a file, numel (ostream) will be 1 (if
I'm reading gnuplot_drawnow.m correctly.  So then we should get the
error about mkfifo not being implemented.