Re: [changeset] print.m (matlab compatibility)

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [changeset] print.m (matlab compatibility)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:52:05 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 10-Mar-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| What Octave should probably be doing behind the scenes is mapping
| all names to equivalent names which are system dependent.  For
| example, "Helvetica" would get mapped to "Helvetica" on Windows,
| "NimbusSansL" on unix.  (Actually, it should probably be mapped to
| "NimbusSansL" in both cases since that font is GPL.)

So again, every application that needs to do something like this
should implement its own solution?  Is there no library that handles
these issues?

Yes, I suppose so.  Perhaps fontconfig will work.  It certainly would be nice
to have a library to find helvetic or a substitute, but unless the OS is
guaranteed to do so, there really isn't an alternative.  Giving instructions
for dependent packages might help.

Probably the best thing would be to ask for Helvetica, check what the font is,
if it isn't helvetica, go with the default.

I admit, gnuplot could be better at handling fonts.  However, it's philosophy
has been to let the terminal driver deal with that.

Dan