Re: after 3.2

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: after 3.2
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 04:07:56 -0400

On 13-Mar-2009, Thomas Weber wrote:

| That said, is there really a need to have two branches, stable and
| development? It seems the Linux kernel works quite nicely with just one
| branch.

So just dismiss with the updates to the stable releases, and only have
a series of releases?

That's fine with me, but it doesn't give people a lot of comfort when
there are bugs in a release and the next one might be N months away
and introduce a lot of new untested features that could cause more
trouble even if there are fixes for the problems found in the previous
release.

The goal of the stable release series is to converge on something
that is more or less free of show-stopping bugs, even if it doesn't
have all the latest features.  But I'm not sure we do a good job of
that when we do more than fix regressions (and possibly other serious
bugs) in the stable release.  As Jaroslav noted, transplanting patches
from the development tree can have a destabilizing effect as the two
branches diverge.