Re: after 3.2

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: after 3.2
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:26:39 +0100

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden> wrote:
> * Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> [2009-03-15 12:51]:
>
>> As for the distro users, it's just a question of how often they can
>> make package updates. My impression is that most distros (e.g. Debian)
>> have a fairly sophisticated auto-building systems, so that updating a
>> binary package, say (a wild guess), once per month is not a big deal.
>> Perhaps the package maintainers visiting this list can comment.
>
> I am not sure to understand what you are meaning exactly, but:
>
> Preparation of a new release of a package and autobuilding a package are
> two unrelated things, at least in Debian.  The first one is the acual
> hard work: each time a new version of Octave is release, the package
> maintainer (the DOG in our case) has to prepare the appropriate Debian
> packaging files.  Sometimes this work is trivial but most of the time it
> is not.  Once the new version of the package is uploaded, then the
> autobuilders start building it for each architecture.

I'd hope that with more frequent releases it would become trivial more
often. Maybe I'm being too naive about it, but I imagine it as some
set of scripts that can be used by the autobuilders, and unless there
is a new dependency or a change in the build process, it should work
smoothly. Am I wrong?

> In other words, the sophisticated auto-building system of Debian cannot
> magically update the package every time a new upstream version is
> released.
>
> I apologize if my response above is unrelated to what you were meaning.

No, it was exactly what I mean.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer