Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend

From: Igor V. Burago
Subject: Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:39:53 +1000

> Those kind of views won't make you popular here :)
Hm... I'll take it into consideration... :)

> But realistically, this kind of project will take a long time to
> complete, usually more time than one person has, and fragmentation of
> efforts will juts lead to yet another half finished IDE/backend which
> will slowly decay since nobody will be maintaining it a year (or 3)
> from now
It depends. Of course fragmentation of efforts is one of those things
that is not productive, that's true. But sometimes energetic and
active work of one or two people could could establish strong base for
future development by large community. I've came across of this
developing relatively large projects for Far Eastern State University,
Vladivostok, Russia where I'm studying currently.

By the way, it does not mean that I disagree with you, but it's not
clear for me which way of building numerical computation environment
is more productive now...

--
Igor V. Burago