Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend

From: Arseniy Lartsev
Subject: Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:20:49 +0300

On Friday 20 March 2009 10:06:19 Shai Ayal wrote:

> I think the best way would be to build upon the existing projects,
> both for an IDE and graphics.
It's a good point. I'll appreciate any help in deciding what projects I should
base upon.

I've found two IDEs, QtOctave and octave-workshop, which implement two
different approaches: first one runs octave as separate process, second one
embeds it. I'm still not sure which approach is better but I never meant to
write my on IDE from scratch.

As for plotting engine, I did not find any existing projects that were
implemented as graphic backends. AFAIR octplot provides complete replacement
for entire graphics system (own implementatin of functions like figure, plot,
...). It was a year ago, that time I started writing my own backend but did
not complete it, did not even release it. Hovewer, most 2d and 3d plots work
pretty well.

So, what I planned to do is the following:
1) Take one of those IDEs, bring it to working and usable state
2) Resume my old project (or some other project, I'd like to know if there are
any), see what's missing and implement it.
3) Integrate plotting backend into IDE. It shouldn't be difficult if
everything is Qt based.

I think it's possible to complete it in three monts.

Arseniy