Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend

From: Arseniy Lartsev
Subject: Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 01:29:45 +0300

On Sunday 22 March 2009 17:01:20 Eric S. Carlson wrote:
> Hello Arseniy
>
> IMHO, if you want to do the biggest favor for the Octave community, you
> should consider creating interfaces to the python libraries matplotlib (2D)
> and Mayavi2 (3D) and possiby basemap. These are all incredible plotting
> packages, and it is straighforward to create the hack. The plotting
> packages are platform independent and can be embedded using either WX
> widgets or QT
Maybe I could create interfaces for several plotting libraries? Single Octave
backend, single pipe interface, maybe even single Qt GUI -- only the plotting
part differs.

> I would be happy to help with the proposal or the work if you are
> interested.
Thank you. I'm really interesting in creating something useful, but actually I
have more experience in coding that in software design. I do need someone to
help me to decide what is the right thing to do.

Arseniy