Re: proposed FAQ entries about licensing

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: proposed FAQ entries about licensing
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 09:16:29 -0400

On Mar 25, 2009, at 3:32 AM, Svante Signell wrote:

Sorry for intruding, I'm one of the lurkers on this list. Question
below.

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 13:30 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
Following this discussion:

https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009-January/010066.html

I asked the FSF about licensing for MEX.  The results of the FSF
response to my question are the following proposed FAQ entries.

 Q:  If I write code using Octave do I have to release it under the
     GPL?

A: The answer depends on precisely how the code is written and how it
     works.

     Code written entirely in the scripting language of Octave
(interpreted code in .m files) may be released under the terms of
     whatever license you choose.

     Code written using Octave's native plug-in interface (also known
     as a .oct file) necessarily links with Octave internals and is
     considered a derivative work of Octave and therefore must be
     released under terms that are compatible with the GPL.

What about replacing a .m file with a C/C++ function for execution speed
purposes? Does this fall in the same category as an .m-file, i.e. no
requirements on the license?

Thanks,
Svante

A C file would need to be of the MEX variety.

A C/C++ file would need to be of the MEX or .oct variety.

Or do you mean something else?

Ben