Re: printing figures with development version

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: printing figures with development version
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:22:12 -0400

On Friday, March 27, 2009, at 01:08PM, "Ivan Sutoris" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Hi
>
>when printing figures to eps files with development version of Octave,
>results differ from 3.0.3 - it seems as if the whole paper page was
>exported, not just the figure itself, so that there are wider margins
>around the figure. This is not so visible with default settings where
>the figure fills most of the page, but if I try to decrease it's size
>with figure's paperposition property, I get small figure somewhere on
>the page and lots of empty space around it. I'm attaching output from
>both versions for this simple figure:
>
>figure
>plot(randn(50,1));
>print strcat('figtest',version,'.eps') -depsc
>
>Is this difference expected or is it a bug (or is something messed up
>on my end)?
>
>Regards
>Ivan Sutoris

Hi Ivan,

What you see is intended. You'll need to adjust the figure's paper properties.
Specifically, "papersize" and "paperpositon"

If you'd like an 6.4in x 4.8in eps file

figure (1)
clf
plot (randn (50, 1))
set (gcf, "paperunits", "inches"); # the default is "inches"
paper_size = [6.4, 4.8];
set (gcf, "papersize", paper_size)
set (gcf, "papertype", "<custom>")
set (gcf, "paperposition", [0, 0, paper_size])
print (gcf, strcat ("figtest", version, ".eps"), "-depsc")

This will be much simpler once the all listeners for these properties are in
place.

Ben