Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend

From: Arseniy Lartsev
Subject: Re: GSoC project: new graphics backend
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:07:01 +0300

> Can you explain what you mean by "abstract renderer" -- what would be
> the input and output of it?
> e.g. gl-render takes the octave object tree as input and produces
> OpenGL output
"Abstract renderer" takes octave object tree as input and has abstract methods
for rendering like "DrawAxes", "DrawGrid", "DrawCurve", "DrawSurface", etc.
The "Real renderer" is a derived class that implements all those abstract
methods and therefore provides some output (it could be OpenGL as well as
anything else).

> > P.S. I've tried OpenGL renderer on a laptop with integrated SIS video
> > chip, and it was terrible...
>
> Can you elaborate? these kind of general comments are not very helpfull.
I mean it's very slow because Linux graphic driver for SiS cards is not very
good. I don't see any way to overcome it.