Re: colorbar lefts multiplot

From: Petr Mikulik
Subject: Re: colorbar lefts multiplot
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 23:44:21 +0200 (CEST)

        Hello Ben,

> >I've just discovered yet another bug (seems to be bug in 3.1.55, not in
> >3.0.3):
> >
> >hold on
> >colorbar
> >imagesc(1./hilb(2));
> >hold off
> >
> >hold on
> >imagesc(1./hilb(4));
> >hold off
> >
> >Note that it does not hurt saying
> >     unset multiplot
> >if 'multiplot' was used somewhere in past and there is such a danger of
> >having multiplot on after some premature crash.
>
> It may be a few days before I have time to dig into this. Do you have a
> suggestion for what should be changed Octave's sources?

As far as I know you are now avoiding "set colorbox; replot" of gnuplot,
then I don't know.

I thought that each command such as "colorbar", "axis xy", "title 'bla'",
etc., forces an immediate replot of the whole drawing canvas. Therefore I
wanted to test what is faster and with less redrawings:

1:
imagesc(1./hilb(1024))
colorbar; axis xy; title 'bla'; xlabel 'x'; ylabel 'y'

2:
hold on
colorbar; axis xy; title 'bla'; xlabel 'x'; ylabel 'y'
imagesc(1./hilb(1024))
hold off

3:
set (gcf, 'visible', 'off')
imagesc(1./hilb(1024))
colorbar; axis xy; title 'bla'; xlabel 'x'; ylabel 'y'
set (gcf, 'visible', 'on')

I was surprised I cannot see speed difference easily.
Thus I would like to ask: which sequence is the most efficient? What is the
number of canvas "(re)plots" in each case -- 1 or 6?

---

Petr