Re: Example plot in Manual lacks text

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Example plot in Manual lacks text
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 06:36:43 +0300

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2009, at 7:15 PM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:
>
>>> Also, I assume this is where "convert" is intended to produce a pdf-file
>>> from an eps-file?
>>
>> "convert" is described as "part of ImageMagick" and is used by print.m to
>> convert
>> formats that "need conversion."  Looking quickly at the code, it would
>> appear that
>> a reason .pdf does not work is that print.m thinks that pdf is a known
>> terminal for
>> gnuplot.  I tried the command:
>> convert ctest.eps ctest.pdf
>> and it produced a pdf file.
>>
>> I am not sure whether convert or ghostscript is a better choice for
>> conversion, but I
>> suspect that ghostscript is better.
>>
>> From your new email:
>>>
>>> Form gnuplot what do you get when you type
>>>
>>>   print GPVAL_TERMINALS
>>
>> I get:
>> gnuplot> print GPVAL_TERMINALS
>>       undefined variable: GPVAL_TERMINALS
>>
>> If I type:
>> gnuplot> set terminal
>>
>> I get the list of terminals:
>>
>> Available terminal types:
>>         aed512  AED 512 Terminal
>>         aed767  AED 767 Terminal
>>           aifm  Adobe Illustrator 3.0 Format
>>       bitgraph  BBN Bitgraph Terminal
>>            cgm  Computer Graphics Metafile
>> ... and so on...  including the terminals starting with "p"
>> which I sent earlier.
>>
>> OK?
>
> ok, I understand.
>
> The GPVAL_TERMINALS variable is not present in the 4.2.x, but is in 4.3.x.
>
> As print.m already makes use of "convert", I hesitate to use ghostscript
> rather than "convert".
>
> There is the additional problem of how to determine if the pdf terminal is
> available for gnuplot 4.2.x.
>
> In addition, the eps driver produces a file whose canvas size is bounded by
> the paperpostion property. This is not the way the pdf driver behaves. Thus
> for pdf output we'd need to begin with a ps-file.
>
> I'll try writing a function that is able to use the output from "set
> terminal" to compose a list of available terminals.
>
> Regarding "ghostscript" or "convert" is there a windows friendly way to
> determine which of those are present? Perhaps we should check if "convert"
> exists, and if not check for "ghostscript"?

IMHO convert uses ghostscript when converting from ps/eps. I actually
think ghostscript is the only Free application which can render
postscript (and there are only a few other non-free applications) , so
any method of converting postscript to any other format will
ultimately involve ghostscript.

ghostscript is available for windows, and in fact, the last time I
used matlab, (9 years ago I think), they included ghostscript for
these kind of things.

Shai