Re: I'd like to be a contributor!

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: I'd like to be a contributor!
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:05:00 -0400

On  6-Apr-2009, David Bateman wrote:

| This problem breaks down into two issues.
|
| 1) translating the help strings of the functions themselves, and
| 2) translating the rest of the manual.
|
| The manual reuses the help strings, and having a system to handle
| translated help strings would allow you to do something like "ajuda
| eig"... Octave-forge has the framework to allow this to be done, see
|
| http://octave.sourceforge.net/translation.html
|
| and there is an octave-forge package
|
| http://octave.sourceforge.net/pt_BR/index.html
|
| already for Brazilian Portuguese from  Jorge Barros de Abreu. The
| problem with this is keeping the english and translated strings in
| agreement, and system in the octave-forge package allows this... In any
| case I'd suggest you install and load the pt_BR package and play with
| the translated help strings..

It would be great if someone could adapt the Octave Forge framework
for handling docstring translations so that works in the Octave build
system.

| However, that doesn't address the manual itself. Ideally we should
| translate first all of the help strings of the functions in the manner
| above and then the *.txi files in Octave and so allow the creation of
| the translated manual with the same mechanism as the English manual
| itself...

What would be the best way to handle updates to larger blocks of text?
I guess we need to be able to generate diffs of the master (English)
version of the manual from the point at which a given translation
(say, pt_BR) was done and the current version, so you don't have to
spend a lot of time comparing text by hand.  Does the Octave Forge
framework make this easy?  Sorry, I haven't looked at Octave Forge to
see what is actually done there for the docstrings.