Re: stable branch release policy [was Re: Possible bug in intersect]

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: stable branch release policy [was Re: Possible bug in intersect]
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:55:01 +0200

On 12 Apr 2009, at 14:19, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

Hi,

It seems this bug was introduced inbetween releases 3.0.3 and 3.0.4 by the
following changeset:

hg log -r 7920
changeset:   7920:e56bb65186f6
user:        Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden>
date:        Wed Jun 25 22:11:07 2008 +0200
summary:     improve set functions for Matlab compatibility

so the question I have is, is there a "bug-fixes only, no new features"
policy for the "stable" branch?

Sort of. It depends on your view of bug - some users consider
incompatibility with Matlab as a bug.

Yes, you are right, often incompatibilities are regarded as bugs.
In that case I'd say this patch is OK to be included in the stable branch. If compatibility is important we might want to include a check on the input arguments to make sure that they are vectors or matrices with the same number
of rows as is required by Matlab.
If you think this make sense I'll prepare a changeset.

Maybe there was also some bug
fixed by that changeset. I think there were more such "bugs" addressed
between 3.0.3 and 3.0.4.
I think the correct policy would be *regressions only*, as has been
suggested by John, but I don't think that's what most users expect.
That would likely require more frequent stable branches.

what exactly does *regressions only* mean?

Now, this particular bug is probably to be considered minor as compared to
the one in "load -ascii" so I'm not sure whether it is worth a 3.0.6
release,
but, as it is found in an m-file, maybe a warning about the bug and a link to the 3.0.3 version of the set scripts on the web page would suffice?

As an other alternative to new releases in the stable branch, to fix bugs in m-files and DLD functions maybe a "bugfix" package in Octave-Forge could be
used?

No problem. Both suggestions sound OK to me.

all 3 solutions are OK for me as well, whichever is chosen in the end I am available to help.

Sorry if my suggestions sound stupid, I was just trying to think of a way to keep the number of bugs in the stable branch a monotone non- increasing
function of the release number while requiring as little effort on
developers like Jaroslav whos precious time is better spent on improving the
development version.

"non-increasing" probably corresponds to the "regressions only"
strategy, which would be OK with me. But I don't think that works
together with one major release per 16 months (since 3.0.0).
My suggestion was to do a major release in November, after 3.0.3 when
I saw the gap between stable and development sources becoming too big,
but most others reckoned there was not enough new features.
I don't really care that much about the stable releases, because I
work almost exclusively with the development version. To be precise,
I'm fine spending a bit of time on them (like doing the tarballs,
maintaining the archive etc) but I'm not probably the proper one to
decide what should be done here.
What I'd like to follow in the future is the regressions-only
politics, as suggested by John.

My ideal of a stable release is something well tested enough so that developers don't need to spend too much of their time fixing it often but close enough to the development sources
so that feedback from users can still be useful..
Leaving this much time between releases is good with respect to the former
(except for 3.0.4 which I agree was just an unvoidable accident).
Maybe producing more snapshots (and maybe call them a "testing" release) could help with the latter? Many users will never download from VCS or even will just use only binary packages but still are able
to provide helpful feedback...

c.