Re: [OctDev] Functions in the core

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Functions in the core
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:21:31 -0400

On 12-Apr-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| In the past, John kept bugs low such that a release could be made at
| almost any time and in fact John created versions quite often.

I'm not sure I would agree completely with this.  What I remember is
that there have been many times when I couldn't make a release because
of some bug or another.  But I have always tried to make snapshots and
releases at times when I thought there weren't any serious bugs.
Usually there were, of course, but I didn't know about them.  :-)
Maybe this all points to the need for more complete tests...

| John reviews, but you'll also notice that he does the difficult job
| of finding an fixing bugs in those patches.  Look how many times
| he's said "I applied your patch, but I changed..."

I'm not sure, but I think many of those changes are just style fixes,
or maybe some changes to make things easier for me to understand.  I
guess I like to think that those kinds of changes might make future
maintenance easier, but I don't necessarily think of it as fixing
bugs in submitted patches.