Re: Solved: Can't plot from Octave using Aquaterm in OS X 10.5

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Solved: Can't plot from Octave using Aquaterm in OS X 10.5
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:18:39 -0400

On Apr 15, 2009, at 11:12 PM, address@hidden wrote:

On Apr 14, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Apr 14, 2009, at 7:06 PM, address@hidden wrote:

I just figured out my problem: I needed to place the line

export GNUTERM='aqua'

in my .bash_profile in the home directory.  I hope this can
help anyone out there who's having the same problem.

Norm Hecht
Thornton, CO

For Mac OSX that should be the default behavior. Perhaps your installation/setup
includes a "export GNUTERM=x11" somewhere?

Ben

Ben,

I'm not sure why my solution came through before my original
message, but here are my replies to your two messages.

I upgraded by downloading Thomas Treichel's Octave binary,
and just dropping it into my applications folder as suggested.

I also checked through my .profile and .bashrc and .bash_profile
files, and didn't spot 'export GNUTERM=x11'in any of them.

I'm a long-term but not-that-proficient unix user, so I have to
do a fair amount of fumbling around on issues like this.  Is there
a good "look up details as needed" reference that you recommend?

I'm also wondering if this is something we should discuss off-line
like we're doing, or is it worth putting it on octave-help?

Thanks for your advice & answers,

Norm

From the Octave prompt, what do you get when you type

        system ("echo $GNUTERM")

I've cc'd Thomas as he is much more likely to understand what is happening.

Ben