Re: Solved: Can't plot from Octave using Aquaterm in OS X 10.5

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Solved: Can't plot from Octave using Aquaterm in OS X 10.5
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:40:15 +0200

Ben Abbott schrieb:
On Apr 15, 2009, at 11:12 PM, address@hidden wrote:

On Apr 14, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Apr 14, 2009, at 7:06 PM, address@hidden wrote:

I just figured out my problem: I needed to place the line

export GNUTERM='aqua'

in my .bash_profile in the home directory.  I hope this can
help anyone out there who's having the same problem.

Norm Hecht
Thornton, CO

For Mac OSX that should be the default behavior. Perhaps your installation/setup
includes a "export GNUTERM=x11" somewhere?

Ben

Ben,

I'm not sure why my solution came through before my original
message, but here are my replies to your two messages.

I upgraded by downloading Thomas Treichel's Octave binary,
and just dropping it into my applications folder as suggested.

I also checked through my .profile and .bashrc and .bash_profile
files, and didn't spot 'export GNUTERM=x11'in any of them.

I'm a long-term but not-that-proficient unix user, so I have to
do a fair amount of fumbling around on issues like this.  Is there
a good "look up details as needed" reference that you recommend?

I'm also wondering if this is something we should discuss off-line
like we're doing, or is it worth putting it on octave-help?

Thanks for your advice & answers,

Norm

 From the Octave prompt, what do you get when you type

    system ("echo $GNUTERM")

I've cc'd Thomas as he is much more likely to understand what is happening.

Ben

Hi Norm, hi Ben,

adding "export GNUTERM=aqua" to one of .bash_profile, .bashrc or .profile is absolutely the right thing to do if this problem occurs. The only thing I currently don't understand is why this problem occurs now (with Octave.app 3.0.5) and didn't occur with earlier versions? In the first email, Norm, you told us that you use Octave 3.0.5, gnuplot 4.0, and Aquaterm 1.0 on OS X 10.5.6. Where does your Gnuplot 4.0 and Aquaterm 1.0 come from?

Best regards,

  Thomas