Re: Turn off TeX for legend labels

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Turn off TeX for legend labels
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:41:43 -0400

On 14-Apr-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| On Apr 14, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
|

| > On Apr 14, 2009, at 1:27 PM, andy buckle wrote:
| >

| >> I have been able to set 'interpreter' to 'none' for titles and axes
| >> labels,
| >> but I can't seem to get it to work for legends. I would be grateful
| >> for
| >> advice. (I tried this on 3.0.1)
| >
| > I haven't tried this on 3.0.1, but it works on 3.0.4
| >
| > octave:1> x = 0:0.1:5;
| > octave:2> plot(x,sin(x),x,cos(x))
| > octave:3> legend ("\\alpha", "\\beta")
| > octave:4> set (findobj (gca, "-property", "keylabel"), "interpreter",
| > "none")
| >
| > Ben
|
| I've attached a changeset for the developers sources. If there are no
| objections, I'll push it tomorrow.

I think it would be much better to implement a Matlab-compatible
legend function.  I think doing that is possible now.  The legend
shouuld create an additional axes object that includes three objects
for each entry in the legend.  The first is for the marker associated
with the legend item, the second is for the line, and the third is the
label.  I think placement and sizing will require some effort.  It
would also be nice if the legend object could be opaque so it may
appear on top of other plot objects, but I don't think that is
absolutely necessary.