stable vs. experimental archive

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: stable vs. experimental archive
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:22:45 +0200

Hello,

following the conversation and my proposal
http://www.nabble.com/stable-branch-release-policy--was-Re%3A-Possible-bug-in-intersect--td23009036.html#a23072785
I would like to carry on the discussion about setting up a second
official "experimental" repository to resolve issues with development
& stability. I see the following options:

1. create a secondary "experimental" repo on Savannah (if this can be done)
2. create an "experimental" branch in the savannah repo (and maybe
rename the "default" branch to "stable")
3. host the "experimental" repo elsewhere (TW's)
X. forget about the stable & experimental proposal, use a different
development/maintenance model

could you please share your opinions/votes? if anyone votes for X.,
please describe your idea.

I think 1. is clearly winner if it can be done. 2 and 3 are
compromises. My vote is 2 if 1 is not possible.

cheers

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer