Re: proposed FAQ entries about licensing

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: proposed FAQ entries about licensing
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:56:30 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 20-Apr-2009, Judd Storrs wrote:

| Was it ever decided if we can add C99 complex-style MEX accessors even if
| they don't exist in Matlab? If I recall correctly, the main objection is
| that code written using the new function couldn't work on Matlab, thus the
| MEX files were obviously derived from Octave?

That's my position, and I have no plans to add anything to the MEX
interface.
Yes but we could write an extension for matlab that makes a copy to create the C99 values while it Octave the copy could be avoided.. That should level the playing field a bit for the mex interface..

| Suppose I go ahead and write a set of limited utility functions that only
| use Matlab mex that convert complex matrices into C99-form (causing all
| sorts of data copying when used in Matlab). Would octave be allowed to
| implement them more efficiently?

As I see it, your functions for Matlab would not be part of the Matlab
MEX interface and your functions for Octave would have to be written
using Octave internals, so they would be subject to the terms of the
GPL.
I'd have thought that a pointer to a C99 complex data given from Octave wouldn't be accessing Octave's internals as such, but if you take that position, fine I can live with a less than optimal mex interface.

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)