Re: [OctDev] No symbolic package in future (Windows/VC++) releases

From: Joe Vornehm Jr.
Subject: Re: [OctDev] No symbolic package in future (Windows/VC++) releases
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:55:31 -0400

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 20-Apr-2009, Judd Storrs wrote:

A more important question is whether redistribution of the libraries
is allowed by Microsoft.  The blanket statement on the MS web site is

[snip]

So does the license agreement that accompanies the VC++ libraries
specifically allow redistribution?

In spirit, yes, but technically the permission to distribute the VC++ libs is actually included in Visual Studio (Express Edition downloadable at no charge).  The VC++ libraries themselves can be downloaded directly from Microsoft, but the license included with that download does not allow redistribution.

With VS2008EE, I have a file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\redist.txt that contains this text:

The following list is a list of files available with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 for redistribution under the Visual Studio 2008 license.  If the Microsoft software you have licensed is not Visual Studio 2008, only the files that are installed by the Microsoft software may be redistributed under such license.

Visual C++ Runtime files

Subject to the license terms for the software, you may redistribute the .EXE files (unmodified) listed below.
These files can be run as prerequisites during installation.

vcredist_x86.exe

vcredist_x64.exe

vcredist_IA64.exe

Nothing else in redist.txt pertains to the VC++ RT libs.  I believe that "Subject to the license terms for the software" means "the Microsoft software" mentioned in the first paragraph, which really just means VS2008.  No bundling restrictions are set forth here (or in any applicable MS EULAs to my knowledge).

Joe V.