stable repo

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: stable repo
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:07:26 +0200

hello,

it seems the secondary stable repo at savannah is now operational (but
not initialized):
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/stable

actually I only asked the Savannah hackers whether it's possible, but
they went ahead :)

so, what now? For convenience, I'll summarize my proposal once more:
We'll essentially have two main development repos of different speed
that will occassionally be synchronized (by merging, though this can
still be discussed).
Bug-fixing will primarily occur in stable repo and releases will be
forked from it. The stable repo will enter a "feature freeze" state
when a release is due to happen,
otherwise it will occassionally pull the new stuff from main.
Development of new features, improvements etc. will happen in main
repo, which will be unaffected by "feature freeze". Thus, those who
don't mind bugs and always want bleeding edge features shall build
from main repo. Those who prefer stability but don't want to wait for
releases shall build from stable.

This *doesn't* mind that the development in main should go frenzy now.
Essentially, it should continue as it went so far. I think the only
problem people had with status quo was that new features (containing
bugs) come in often, so that should be addressed by the stable repo.

Comments?

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek