Re: Problem compiling sparse-xdiv.cc (typename)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problem compiling sparse-xdiv.cc (typename)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 15:50:56 -0400

On 10-May-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| No, you're not. I already told Michael that I will apply such a patch
| if he sends it. I agree this is equally readable to the original code,
| so it's a win/draw. I just won't bother to create it myself (besides,
| I don't even know the lines in sparse-xdiv where this occurs). I'm
| still offering a bit of my time to actually apply it.

I checked in the following change which I think should avoid the
problem:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/c229bfb14d8d

We have plenty of other places in Octave where typedefs like this are
used for convenience, so I don't see any reason to object to this.  I
do object to changes that look like this

  #if defined (_MSVC)
     some code that works for MSVC
  #elif defined (sun)
     some code that does the same thing for Sun Systems
  #elif defined (HPUX)
     some code that does the same thing for HPUX Systems
  #elif defined (alpha)
  #etc...

spread over many files, or by making complex or ugly fixes for
obsolete compilers, especially if it is GCC, since it is always
possible to upgrade in that case, usually at a fairly low cost.

I also object to bickering on the lists, but I understand that we can
sometimes become frustrated.  I think the root of that frustration is
that there are too few people working on Octave but many people using
it who see themselves as consumers of a product rather than as active
members of our community.  So it's easy to sometimes misinterpret bug
reports as demands that we do some gratis work for users who are only
taking from the community without contributing much.