Re: bug in who?

From: Rik
Subject: Re: bug in who?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:48:42 -0700

> octave:1> x=1
> x =  1
> octave:2> who
> Variables in the current scope:
>
> ans  x
>
> octave:3> clear x
> octave:4> x
> error: `x' undefined near line 4 column 1
> octave:4> who
> Variables in the current scope:
>
> ans  x

I can verify this behavior.  For more information, I tried 'whos' with
the sequence above.
octave:39> whos
Variables in the current scope:

  Attr Name        Size                     Bytes  Class
  ==== ====        ====                     =====  =====
       x           1x1                          8  double

Total is 1 element using 8 bytes

octave:40> clear
octave:41> whos
Variables in the current scope:

  Attr Name        Size                     Bytes  Class
  ==== ====        ====                     =====  =====
       x          -1x-1                         0  unknown

Total is 1 element using 0 bytes

The first part of clear appears to be working as the variable is no
longer taking up any memory but it is taking up symbol table space.  It
is unclear whether the bug is in 'who' or in 'clear'.

The documentation string for who is no longer accurate either.  It makes
reference to 'whos' being equivalent to 'who -long' but the number of
options that 'who' takes has been reduced and '-long' is no longer one
of them.

--Rik