Re: question on run-octave.in

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: question on run-octave.in
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:17:11 +0100

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 3:01 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12-May-2009, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>
> | Hi All,
> | as in cygwin the library preload does not work, I
> | would like to implement in "run-octave.in" something like:
> |
> | if cygwin
> |
> | OCTAVE_SITE_INITFILE="$top_srcdir/scripts/startup/main-rcfile" \
> | PATH="$builddir/src:$builddir/liboctave:$builddir/libcruft:$PATH" \
> |   exec $driver "$builddir/src/octave" --no-init-path --path="$LOADPATH"
> --image-path="$IMAGEPATH" --doc-cache-file="$DOCFILE" --info-file="$INFOFILE"
> "$@"
> |
> | else
> |
> | OCTAVE_SITE_INITFILE="$top_srcdir/scripts/startup/main-rcfile" \
> | LD_PRELOAD="$liboctinterp $liboctave $libcruft" \
> |
> %library_path_var%="$builddir/src:$builddir/liboctave:$builddir/libcruft:$%library_path_var%"
>  \
> |   exec $driver "$builddir/src/octave" --no-init-path --path="$LOADPATH"
> --image-path="$IMAGEPATH" --doc-cache-file="$DOCFILE" --info-file="$INFOFILE"
> "$@"
> |
> | endif
> |
> | Which the best way to implement it ?
>
> I guess we need to change the way the run-octave script is generated.
> Either we need to add some additional variables (like the
> $canonical_host_type variable from the configure script) and have the
> checks inside the run-octave script, or we need to generate the
> correct system-dependent code when creating the run-octave script.  I
> don't have a strong preference.  Adding some additional variables that
> allow system-dependent things seems easier to me, though at the
> expense of making the run-octave script more complex.

The existing system works fine for MSVC and MinGW. It's just that the configure
script does not generate the right run-octave script for the cygwin
platform. I wouldn't
change run-octave.in to introduce platform specific stuff. AFAIK, the
required change is
as simple as:

library_path_var=PATH

for cygwin platform in configure.in. Or am I missing something?

Michael.