Re: plot and image demos (growing window)

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: plot and image demos (growing window)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 00:35:28 -0500

Ben Abbott wrote:

On May 29, 2009, at 12:58 AM, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On May 28, 2009, at 5:25 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 28-May-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| This looks like a feature of gnuplot. When a subsequent "set term
| x11 ..." command is encountered before the prior plot-stream completes
| there appears to be some unintended interaction between gnuplot  and
| x11 which causes the window to grow.
|
| For example, try ...
|
|       for n=1:100; plot(1:1000); drawnow; end
|
| Adding the command "unset mouse" the the beginning of the plot- stream | eliminates the problem. Shall a "unset mouse" be added to be beginning | of each plot-stream? (changeset attached) ... If desired a "set mouse"
| may added at the end of the plot-stream. Unfortunately, I don't  know
| of a good way to detect the state of "set/unset mouse". We could
| obtain the x11 window ID and ask x11 for the window size while
| toggling the mouse state, but is it worth the hassle?

No, I don't think it is worth it.

Even unset mouse/set mouse might not be worth it.  Is there an easy
way to demonstrate this bug with a simple gnuplot script?  If so,  then
I'd say report it as a bug in gnuplot and we should not bother to  work
around it in Octave.

jwe

John / anyone-else,

can you confirm that the simple example I gave causes your window to grow?

Ben

Confirmed; it really grows.

ok, I'll try to create an example using only gnuplot that does the same (thus far, I've failed).

Ben,

I've an old version of Octave (3.0.0+) on this machine and just compiled the
latest gnuplot.  The above command does not cause the plot window to grow.

A month or two ago there was a discussion about querying window size/placement
so that a moved/resized window will stay in the same place.  Might there be a
problem with that code?  For example, I can imagine a scenario where Matlab's
concept of window size and gnuplot's concept of window size differ by one point
and every time Matlab queries and sets the window there is a difference of one
pixel.

Dan