Re: keyboard() 'exit' function broken

From: Rik
Subject: Re: keyboard() 'exit' function broken
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 22:08:25 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 29-May-2009, Rik wrote:
>
> | The keyboard function for debugging stops normal execution and drops the
> | user back to the Octave prompt where they can inspect variables, perform
> | calculations to verify intermediate results, etc.  To resume execution
> | the user types 'exit' or 'quit'.
> |
> | Unfortunately in the latest tip typing 'exit' doesn't resume execution
> | but drops the user completely out of Octave and back to the shell.
> |
> | Demonstration code:
> |
> | function myfunc
> | set_a_variable_for_inspection = 1;
> | keyboard;
> | end
> |
> | Then type 'myfunc' at the prompt which will stop at line 3 and present
> | the 'debug>' prompt.  Typing 'exit' will drop the user to the shell.
>
> To continue from the debug or keyboard prompt, type dbcont.  If the
> documentation says otherwise, it should be fixed.  FWIW, I think that
> this is also the way Matlab works.

The current documentation is very explicit about using 'quit' or 'exit'
so it should be changed.  Matlab documentation states that 'return'
should be used
(http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/keyboard.html).
I just verified that either 'return' or 'dbcont' will work.  Which
direction do we want to promote in the documentation?  'return' or 'dbcont'?

--Rik