Re: plot and image demos (growing window)

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: plot and image demos (growing window)
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:31:41 -0500

Rik, Ben,

I've had an opportunity to try this out with numerous versions of gnuplot.
There is randomness to the window expansion.  That is, it isn't on ever plot
that the window expands.  That fact seems to point to gnuplot as the source,
and the problem seems to exist as far back as gnuplot version 4.2.0.  However,
the expansion is at a much slower rate, approximately once with every 200 to
300 plots.  With gnuplot version 4.2.5 the expansion rate is about once every 3
or 4 plots.  There could be a timing issue made worse by new additions to
gnuplot over the years; one that shows up only when the CPU is being completely
taxed.

I'll look into the gnuplot side of things (and if you want to send something to
the gnuplot discussion list, feel free), but my advice would be to not spend
too much effort tracking down exactly where Octave might cause a problem.  It
might just be a random arrangement of code that works better than other
versions.

Dan