Re: [changeset] printing multipage postscript files

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [changeset] printing multipage postscript files
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:41:52 -0400

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Petr Mikulik wrote:

Please check that this works are you expect. I've tested the three examples
below on Mac OSX with no problems.

surf(peaks)
print -dps append.ps
sombrero (25)
print -dps -append append.ps

surf(peaks)
print -dpdf append.pdf
sombrero (25)
print -dpdf -append append.pdf

surf(peaks)
print -dps append.ps
rename ("appdend.ps", "append.pdf");
sombrero (25)
print -dpdf -append append.pdf

The last one I hadn't expected to work, but ghostscript handled it nicely.

With postscript, it works well. (The option is really "-append".)

However, appending to pdf fails on my system:

x=1:100;
plot (x,x)
print -dpdf z.pdf
plot (x,-x)
print -dpdf z.pdf -append
plot (x,x.*x, x,x+20)
print -dpdf z.pdf -append

However
gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pswrite -sOutputFile=new.pdf \
z1.pdf z2.pdf -c quit
works OK, so there seems to be a some small mistake in the patch. Can you
please fix it?

The example you gave works for me. If you can isolate the problem, I can patch
Octave's sources.

My gnuplot supports "set term pdf" (it is compiled with "pdfcairo"
terminal). However, it seems that octave goes via postscript file instead -- I've put some printing commands to print.m, see below. The failure happens because the original pdf file (the new plot to be appended to, i.e. the
original z.pdf) is called below
        /tmp/oct-F79Jrl.ps
but it does not exist. The new plot
        /tmp/oct-byjhyV.ps
exists (but it is postscript, not pdf!).

Does this help?

ahh! ok, I'll take a look at fixing this tomorrow.

Ben