Re: 3.2.0 RC7: test failures on MacOS

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: 3.2.0 RC7: test failures on MacOS
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 08:44:56 +0200

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Jean-Francois Cardoso<address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks to John and Jaroslav for explaining the BLAS problem reported earlier.
>
> I build 3.2.0 RC 7 on MacOS, but I see a lot of test failures,
> all related to structs, and apparently to struct arrays.
>
> I append below the relevant parts of fntests.log
> and the result of octave_config_info.
>
> Let me know if more info could be useful.
>
> Cheers, JF
>
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p23872602/fntests.log fntests.log
> http://www.nabble.com/file/p23872602/cfginfo cfginfo

Interesting. Since nobody else sees those failures, I guess you'll
need to do some investigation what's wrong. Some of the errors
resemble problems fixed long ago - are you sure you didn't mix up some
sources?
If not, my very wild guess is that maybe your g++ somehow manages to
miscompile Octave. 4.2.1 is somewhat old; maybe there were some bugs?

Try isolating a single piece of code that does not work, for instance
a(1).x.x = 1; a(2).x.x = 2;

put it in a script, then try running with ./run-octave -valgrind and
check for invalid memory accesses and the like.
if it does not help, you can try to debug Octave (./run-octave -g).

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer