Re: does anyone have a non-postscript printer?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: does anyone have a non-postscript printer?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:16:30 -0400

On Jun 16, 2009, at 10:18 AM, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

Ben Abbott wrote:
If someone does have a non-postscript printer and is inclined to do
some tests for me, I'd like to produce a raw file for it (assuming it
is supported by ghostscript) and see if it prints correctly.

All I need to know is (1) the ghostscript device name, and (2) the page
size (usletter, or a4).

The most common non-postscript printer language is probably HP's PCL
(printer control language); ghostscript outputs PCL from the pcl3
driver, as well as the various LaserJet and DeskJet drivers (lj*, dj*).

There is also bunch of specific inkjet drivers: Canon Bubblejet
bj* and Epson epl* drivers, typically tied to a narrow range of printer models.

I think most HP printers that do PCL also use postscript nowadays, but this is not the
case for the inkjets.

I have a HP 2605n (color laser jet with postscript emulation, and PCL). I'm unable to produce a PCL file that will print. In octave, I type ...

        > figure(1)
        > surf(peaks(25))
        > print -dpsc test.ps

Then from a terminal command line

$ gs -dBATCH -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dTextAlphaBits=4 -sDEVICE=pcl3 - sOutputFile="test.pcl" test.ps
        $ lpr -l test.pcl

The result is many pages that are mostly blank with some short lines of assorted symbols.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Ben