Plot problem?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Plot problem?
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:10:28 -0400

On 16-Jun-2009, Robert T. Short wrote:

| And on that note.....
|
| This may be a gnuplot problem.  I don't know.  I am running 4.2 (the
| current debian lenny gnuplot package).  I confess to being somewhat
| overwhelmed by the plot/graphics threads so this may have already been
| addressed.  If so, I apologize in advance.
|
| The attached script is a vastly simplified version of something I do a
| lot of.  It draws circles with lines between them.
|
| I frequently print to encapsulated PostScript or fig, depending on
| whether I further need to annotate the plot or not.
|
| There are two problems: 'axis square' doesn't seem to work and line
| styles don't print correctly.
|
| --- With either 'axis square' or 'axis equal', the axes come out unequal
| so the circles are smashed.

I don't see this with the current Octave sources or 3.2.0.  I'm using
gnuplot 4.2 patchlevel 5 on a Debian testing system.

| --- The on-screen plot comes out with the line styles and colors
| specified.  The fig file cycles through the colors for both the circles
| and the lines.  The eps file gets the colors right, but not the line styles.

As I recall, mixing line styles and colors has never really worked
correctly in gnuplot and the behavior is terminal dependent.  But
maybe things have changed lately?  I'm not sure.

| In MATLAB, I can't do fig files of course, but it gets the eps file
| right EXCEPT it loses all the colors....

Did you use -depsc or -deps?