Re: Text engine for OpenGL renderer

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Text engine for OpenGL renderer
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 11:26:14 +0300

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Michael
Goffioul<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For those interested, I just commited a new Freetype/Fontconfig based text
> engine for the OpenGL backend. At the moment, it's very basic. It's mainly
> a skeleton that contains enough to render tick labels, axes labels, titles and
> simple text objects. It will be enhanced later on.
>
> Note that if fontconfig is not available, the engine uses a hardcoded
> font, which
> defaults to Verdana under Win32 platform. As I didn't what font to use under
> UNIX platform, I left that part empty. This means that if you're running UNIX
> without fontconfig (development package), text rendering will probably not
> work.

Compiled and worked fine on a debian unstable machine with fontconfig.

This was the last big missing feature for the fltk-backend. It is now
usable for on-screen display.
With all the trouble going on with the various versions of gnuplot
that are reported on the mailing list, I think it's good timing.
* Make postscript output work
* Use LaTeX for rendering labels

Shai

Shai