Re: Zoom GUI in fltk backend

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Zoom GUI in fltk backend
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:41:56 -0400

On Jun 29, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

Hi All

Since Michael implemented text rendering in the fltk backend I've been
trying to use it for basic plotting. After a while I came to the
conclusion that I found the zooming interface quite confusing -- I
actually had to read the code figure out how to work with it. So, I've
been playing a bit with an alternative user interface (patch attached). With this, you zoom using the mouse scroll wheel, and dragging moves the center of the plot. I find this much more intuitive, but that might just
be because my mind works in weird ways...

I think this is the best way to do it also. I have always been frustrated with Matlab's zoom and rotate functionality. In fact, I would prefer that it acts more like a CAD tool in that a center of rotation is selected and rotation occurs about that point and zooming occurs. In the GTK plotting window that Michael Goffioul and I have worked on, it is implemented in a similar manner. You can zoom either by clicking, dragging a box, using the scroll wheel, or with the keyboard.

John Swensen