Re: Zoom GUI in fltk backend

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Zoom GUI in fltk backend
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:19:53 -0400

On Jun 29, 2009, at 5:16 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

Hi All

Since Michael implemented text rendering in the fltk backend I've been
trying to use it for basic plotting. After a while I came to the
conclusion that I found the zooming interface quite confusing -- I
actually had to read the code figure out how to work with it. So, I've
been playing a bit with an alternative user interface (patch attached). With this, you zoom using the mouse scroll wheel, and dragging moves the center of the plot. I find this much more intuitive, but that might just
be because my mind works in weird ways...

Anyway, I'm attaching a patch in case anybody wants to try this out. I
had to hardcode the upper and lower bounds for the plot because I
couldn't figure out how to extract this information from the axes. So,
if you want to play with this, make sure that

 min (x) = 0   and   max (x) = 10

and likewise for y. I've been playing with the following plot:

 x = linspace (0, 10, 100);
 plot (x, 5*sin (x) + 5);

Comments?

Søren

<ui.patch>

As a side note, if I submit a patch to allow conditional compilation of a GTK+OpenGL backend would that be accepted? I would make the configure tests require explicit inclusion of this backend, rather than just checking for GTK+/GTKMM. Michael Goffioul did most of the initial work, then I added functionality, then he cleaned it up quite a bit more. It is really in a quite usable state if all you care about is zooming and rotating.

John Swensen