Re: Plot problem?

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Plot problem?
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 13:59:39 -0700

Hi Ben (and JWE)

I finally figured out what is happening with the circles. This is a gnuplot issue. Neither of my monitors are 4/3 resolution - my desktop is 1280x1024 (5/4) and my laptop is 1280x800 (8/5). If I adjust the "set ratio" command to compensate, I get circles. If I change the monitor resolution, I get circles. Ben, thanks for showing me how to do the "drawnow" debug stuff. Made my life much simpler.

Bob

Robert T. Short wrote:

Hi Ben,

I finally got a chance to try this. When I run debug.gp in gnuplot, I get ellipses.

Note that on a standard 4/3 monitor, it is difficult to tell that the circles aren't circles. I have to measure the axes with a ruler to really be sure.

On a wide-screen laptop it is very clear that the circles are smashed.

I will figure this out. I have a couple of other things that are critically important first, but I will figure it out.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Ben Abbott wrote:
To help isolate the problem, I've attached a zipped gnuplot script.

After unzipping it, if you type ...

    gnuplot -persist debug.gp

Do you get circles or ellipses?

"Circles" -> the problem is with Octave.

"Ellipses" -> the problem is with Gnuplot.

Ben