Re: release 3.2.1

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: release 3.2.1
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 23:05:30 +0200

fre, 10 07 2009 kl. 22:19 +0200, skrev Thomas Weber:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 09:49:44AM +0200, Soren Hauberg wrote:
> > I haven't commented on the suggestions related to how to fix this, as it
> > seems like what is being asked for is more man-power. Basically, we need
> > a set of beta testers that are willing to use release candidates for a
> > couple of months before that final release is made.
>
> No one will be doing this.

Agreed; at least assuming we do things as we do now. I do think (that's
my impression, but I don't have any numbers to back it up) we have a
bunch of people that run development sources, and these people are kinda
beta testers. The difficulties appear when we branch for a stable
release. At that point we have two development branches, meaning about
half of the people running development versions will be using the
version about to be released (I actually think it's less than half). So,
even less beta testers. My suggestion: don't branch the development
version.

> How much time do you want to spend on testing a release?

I don't want to spend _any_ time testing a release, because that's
really boring. However, I don't mind using a pre-release for my actual
work (I do this), so I could easily be a beta tester for a month or two.
This is, however, much harder when there are two development branches to
choose from.

> So, I'd say we don't need more testers, but more tests.

Tests are good, and everybody agrees we need more of those. But I
honestly don't think tests can catch everything (that would require an
enormous amount of tests). I think we need to run actual programs, and
not just unit tests.

Soren