Re: strcat error on printing plots

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: strcat error on printing plots
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:25:07 -0400

On 21-Jul-2009, Marco Atzeri wrote:

| this is the     __gnuplot_get_var__
|
|       ## Now read from fifo.
|       reading = true;
|       str = {};
|       while (reading)
|         str{end+1} = fgets (gpin);
|         if (isnumeric (str{end}) && (str{end} == -1))
|           reading = false;
|           str = str(1:(end-1));
|         endif
|       endwhile
|       str = strcat (str{:});            <- line 113
|       fclose (gpin);
|
| so eventually is a fifo issue communicating with
| gnuplot.
| Not really surprising as the MS implementation
| that is used to built the cygwin function
| is buggy
| http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-07/threads.html#00233

So is str when the error happens?  That's the only way I can see it
causing an error.  I guess it should be

  if (! isempty (str))
    str = strcat (str{:});
  endiif

?

But given that the current implementation of the plotting system
depends on knowing the gnuplot version info, I think it will cause
some trouble if we can't reliably get the version info from gnuplot.