Re: overloaded function handles

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: overloaded function handles
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:15:58 -0400

On Jul 27, 2009, at 10:54 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 27-Jul-2009, Robert T. Short wrote:

| FYI.  The obviousness concept applies only to the granting of patents.
| The patents that Mathworks holds have been granted and it is now up to
| potential infringers to show that either the patent is really invalid
| because of obviousness or other reason or that the implementation is not
| infringing.
|
| Does someone have a copy of the patent in question?

Search for US patent 6993772 here:

 http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

Other US patents held by the MathWorks are listed here:

 http://www.mathworks.com/company/aboutus/policies_statements/patents.html

jwe

I think patent number 6,857,118 is the more applicable one: "Function values in computer programming languages having dynamic types and overloading."  That being said, I find it ridiculous that the ability to overload a function by string name is actually patentable.  There has got to be gobs of languages that did the same thing before this patent was issued, right?

John Swensen