Fwd: Re: [OctDev] Patch: Improved filename/symbol completing

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Fwd: Re: [OctDev] Patch: Improved filename/symbol completing
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:37:18 -0400

On  5-Apr-2008, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

| Hello
|
| address@hidden is for octave-forge package list.
|
| I forwarded the below to octave maintainers list
|
| address@hidden
|
| Regards
|
| Tatsuro
|
| --- Kristian Rumberg <address@hidden> wrote:
| This very simple patch makes sure that only files and no matlab
| symbols shows up when completing a "cd" och "ls" command. It also
| makes sure no files are displayed when completing the first command on
| the line. It's still not possible to complete a path-three such as "cd
| projects/octave/stacking", only files/folders in the current directory
| are showned in the completion list (just like before I touched the
| code).
|
| The intelligence of "is_completing_dirfns" needs serious enhancement
| but at least it's a start.
|
| Please leave feedback. Which kind of completion behavior do you prefer?

Sorry for the long delay.

This change doesn't limit completions if "cd" or "ls" is not at the
beginning of the line but is the initial word of a statement.  For
example,

  x = 1; cd <TAB>

lists symbols and filenames.

Maybe cd should also limit completions to directory names instead of
showing all files?

It does not limit completions to filenames for things like

  cd("<TAB>

It does limit the completions to filenames for things like

  cd foo; x = <TAB>

But I checked in a modified version of your patch anyway, since it
does seem to help in some cases and probably isn't generally much
worse than the current behavior.  The version I checked in is here:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/3cee58bf4acf

Thanks,