linking changes for ftgl and qrupdate?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: linking changes for ftgl and qrupdate?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:37:17 -0400

On  6-Aug-2009, David Grundberg wrote:

| I'm having trouble linking to FTGL since I updated from 9476 to 9498.
| Anyone have the same problem?
|
| My FTGL is a custom install, not obtained using a package manager. The
| ./configure checks works fine for FTGL but linking liboctinterp fails
| during make. (paraphrase: cannot find -lftgl) Also, qrupdate seems to
| have similar problems. I'm setting up LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS as before,
| passing them as arguments to configure.

I recently made some changes to the way things are linked.  My intent
was to not list all libraries on the final link for building Octave,
but have library dependencies resolved by linking the required
dependencies with each shared library.

Looking at src/Makefile.in, it seems that SH_LDFLAGS needs to have
some extra directories in it.  But I guess I'd rather avoid putting
all directories in that, and somehow group the FTGL -LDIR options with
the -lftgl option, so that the special FTGL directory only appears
when linking liboctinterp, not also when linking libcruft, or
liboctave, which don't depend on FTGL (for example).

If you install FTGL in a custom directory that is not searched by
default when linking, are you arranging for the FTGL library to be
found at run time through ld.so.conf or similar?  Or do we also need
to add an --rpath option for your custom directory?  Or should we
leave it up to you to do the configuration or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
appropriately?