Re: [changeset] GraphicsMagick++ configuration

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: [changeset] GraphicsMagick++ configuration
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 23:09:09 +0200

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 04:15:56PM -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On  6-Aug-2009, David Grundberg wrote:
>
> | John W. Eaton skrev:

> build
> opposed
> | > |

> | > I removed --ldflags to fix the following mysterious problem on my
> | > system:
> | >

> https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2009-July/012879.html
> | >
> | > So I don't think I can put it back without breaking __magick_read__
> | > again, at least for me and other Debian users.
> | >
> | > What are -Wl,-z,relro and -pie doing in the ldflags anyway?  Are those
> | > arguments not present on your system?  Maybe they are present on mine
> | > because of the way Debian builds the graphics magick library package?
> | > Perhaps these flags make sense for creating the graphics magick
> | > library itself, but I can't see any reason for them to be required to
> | > link the graphics magick library with __magick_read__.oct.
> | >
> | > jwe
> | >
> | So that's why --ldflags was taken away! I don't have that problem. This
> | is the output from my config (where I'm building):
> |
> | $
> |
> octave-patching/dependencies/graphicsmagick-install/bin/GraphicsMagick++-config
>
> | --ldflags --libs
> |
> -L/Home/staff/davidg/octave-patching/dependencies/graphicsmagick-install/lib
> | -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib
> | -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick -llcms -ltiff -lfreetype -ljasper
> | -ljpeg -lpng -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz -lm
> | -lgomp -lpthread
> |
> | My ubuntu 9.04 box says this about the managed package (haven't tried
> | building against it):
> | address@hidden:~$ GraphicsMagick++-config --ldflags --libs
> | -L/usr/lib -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -L/usr/lib/X11 -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib
> | -lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick -llcms -ltiff -lfreetype -ljasper
> | -ljpeg -lpng -lwmflite -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lbz2 -lxml2 -lz -lm
> | -lpthread
>
> So what should we do about this?

These are different versions. The Ubuntu version is 1.1.11-something,
your Debian versions is 1.3.5-something.

> around it by filtering out everything except -L options from the
> --ldflags output, but I'd rather see it fixed in graphics magick.
> What should graphics magick really be storing in the config script
> for --ldflags?  Should options like -pie and -Wl,-z,relro really
> appear there?  Or is this just a Debian packaging problem?

The Debian packaging adds the -pie and -Wl options when building
GraphicsMagick to the LDFLAGS. GraphicsMagick then copies LDFLAGS into its
--ldflags output. Looking at Ubuntu's build logs, the same is already
happening with newer versions of graphicsmagick.

I'll ask the Debian maintainer of GraphicsMagick about it.

        Thomas