Re: linking liboctave fails

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: linking liboctave fails
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:12:55 -0400

On 20-Aug-2009, Rik wrote:

| 8/20/09
|
| Yet more issues with the configuration files and building.  I don't have
| the development package for libcurl.  This is fine and the configuration
| scripts give me the following message:
| configure: WARNING: cURL library not found.  The urlread and urlwrite
| functions will be disabled.
|
| That is indeed what used to happen but now the build process ignores the
| configure script and attempts to build urlwrite anyways which results in:
|
| g++ -shared -o urlwrite.oct pic/urlwrite.o -Wl,-rpath
| -Wl,/home/rik/downloads/movies/local/lib/octave-3.1.55 -L. -loctinterp
| -L../liboctave -loctave -L../libcruft -lcruft  -lcurl
| /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurl
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| make[2]: *** [urlwrite.oct] Error 1
| make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rik/wip/Projects_Mine/octave-dev/src'
|
| I hope someone can restore the correct build behavior.

If you don't have the curl libraries, then the definition of CURL_LIBS
in the Makeconf file should be empty.  Is it?  If not, why not?  How
is the test for the library succeding if you don't have the library?

I removed the libcurl-dev packages on my system and ran configure
again and CURL_LIBS is empty, so linking urlwrite.oct succeeds.  Then
the urlread and urlwrite functions are still present but they only
produce error messages explaining that the functionality is missing.
So it seems to work as expected for me.