Re: GCC for octave/mingw32 (and ,mingw64?) (was OctaveForWindows Wiki (C

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: GCC for octave/mingw32 (and ,mingw64?) (was OctaveForWindows Wiki (CategoryInstall) is updated (2009-08-24))
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:18:54 +0200

Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
Hello Benjamin

The discussion is better to be moved to the maintainers list.
Because discussions have been on the selection of GCC-complier.

In my opinion, from users point of view, the mingw complier is official or not
is small problem.

It's not a small problem, it's not relevant IMO.

I have been used for GCC-4.3.3-TDM for octave building before the gcc-4.4.0
MinGW on MinGW official
site. It worked fine for me.

The 'clear all' crash problem exist for octave-3.2.x by gcc-4.3.0-TDM, while no
problem occurs for
that by GCC-4.4.0-Official.
In the readme
The command "clear all" exits with the error message
error: stdin is not a tty! in conjunction with the ARPACK package e.g. when calling eigs()

In my computer, 'clear all' cashe octave soon after 'error: stdin is not a tty'
when callinf eigs() on
octave3.2.2/GCC-4.3.0.MinGW/TDM.

The combination octave-3.2.x and gcc-4.3.0-TDM seems to cause this problem.

However, GCC-4.4.0-Official has the problem to use shared libstdc++ for dll and
oct file building.
Please see

http://www.nabble.com/octave-3.2.2-build-with-libstdc%2B%2B_s.a-by-GCC-4.4.0-(MinGW-Official)-td24662825.html#a24879769

I think that if 'clear all' problem is serious and this problem will not be
solved easily, it is
better you to try gcc-4.4.0-MinGW official.

Now we're talking facts.
If the various "clear all" segfaults are really fixed by gcc-4.4 then I should update the binaries, naturally. I'm currently working on a 4.4 build with shared libstd++. Let's see how it works.
I'll report back when I have news.

benjamin