Re: 3.2.3 RC2

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: 3.2.3 RC2
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 14:09:24 +0200

> changeset:   9395:54a3fa5d4376
> user:        Ben Abbott <address@hidden>
> date:        Thu Aug 06 07:30:34 2009 +0200
> summary:     Avoid the flickering x11 window seen with rapid gnuplot
> updates.
> http://hg.tw-math.de/release-3-2-x/rev/54a3fa5d4376
>

> The above changeset seems to be the origin by which mouse  zooming in 2D
> cannot be used.
>
> I have tested binaries built  by MinGW-4.4.0 (Official Version) and the
> gnuplot 4.3 cvs for windows
> (the recent source) is used. The terminal is windows terminal.

I can confirm that this changeset breaks interactive usability.

BTW I realized that it is no longer possible to debug what is going on between
octave and gnuplot by simply doing
gnuplot_binary("tee log.txt | gnuplot")
since octave now seems to rely on 2way communication to gnuplot ?

Is there a different way of peeking into what is sent to gnuplot - other than
to compile a version of gnuplot with an intrinsic "tee"-like feature,
prefreably a way even windows understands?

Back to the gnuplot issue, I believe I can guess what went wrong with this
changeset:

Prior to this changeset __go_draw_figure__.m issued a
"set multiplot", then drew the axes and then issued a
"unset multiplot". Fine.

With this changeset gnuplot_drawnow.m issues a "set multiplot" in
gnuplot_set_term prior to calling __go_draw_figure__.m,
\begin{emph}
but it never issues the corresponding "unset multiplot"!
\end{emph}
leaving gnuplot in a multiplot state in which interative mouse and keyboard are
disabled  - I tested this for the windows and wxt terminal.

Now I lost track a bit of all the plotting backend specific code changes, so I
am not sure where this is best fixed. Could one of the plotting gurus take a
look at it?

> Anyway the chanageset should be re-modified to enable us to use mouse
> zooming in windows terminal on
> gnuplot backend.

I agree, this should be fixed, otherwise the gnuplot backend is pretty much
useless on windows.

benjamin